Records of the United States Territorial and New Mexico District Courts for Guadalupe County,
Scope and Content
Collection consists of the territorial and New Mexico district court records for Guadalupe County, New Mexico (1893-1965). Included are record books (1893-1946), case files (1893-1960), witness discharges (1912-1965), and other court material. Record books consist of various dockets (1893-1946) and court proceedings record books (1893-1922) hearings. Case files include criminal cases 2-1423 (1897-1942) and civil cases 1-591, 367-2858, A-63, A-100, A137 (1893-1960). Two numbering systems exist and many criminal and civil case files are unnumbered. Large gaps may exist between case files. Many of the civil cases after 1908 are not part of this collection. Other court material consists of miscellaneous jury and financial records.
Some material in Spanish.
Some material in Spanish.
- 1893-1965 (Bulk 1893-1931)
Language of Materials
English, and Spanish.
Juvenile case files are restricted/confidential under New Mexico statute (Laws of 1943, Chapter 40, Section 4).
Limited duplication allowed for research purposes. User is responsible for all copyright compliance.
Guadalupe County, New Mexico was established in 1891 and formed part of the 4th Judicial District of the United States Territorial Courts in New Mexico. By an act of the New Mexico Legislature Guadalupe County was renamed Leonard Wood County for the years 1903 to 1905. In 1904 Leonard Wood County was transferred from the 4th to the 6th Judicial District and in 1912, as Guadalupe County, it was transferred back to the 4th Judicial District. Upon statehood in 1912, the Territorial Courts became the New Mexico District Courts.
17 v. + 15 linear feet
Collection is organized into eight series:
- I. Docket Books
- II. Records Books (Journals)
- III. Miscellaneous Record Books
- IV. Miscellaneous Records
- V. Financial Records
- VI. Criminal Case Files
- VII. Civil Case Files
- VIII. Juvenile Case Files
- New Mexico State Records Center and Archives
- Archives and Historical Services Division
- 1205 Camino Carlos Rey
- Santa Fe, New Mexico 87505
- Phone: 505-476-7908
- Fax: 505-476-7909
- Email: email@example.com
- URL: http://www.state.nm.us/cpr/ahsd_top.htm
- Civil procedure -- New Mexico -- Guadalupe County
- Criminal procedure -- New Mexico -- Guadalupe County
- Guadalupe County (N.M.) -- History
- Guadalupe County (N.M.) -- Politics and government -- 1848-1950
- Judicial records
- Jury -- New Mexico -- Guadalupe County
- Legal files
- Naturalization -- New Mexico -- Guadalupe County
- Naturalization records
- State government records
- Territorial records
- Trial and arbitral proceedings
- Inventory of the Records of the United States Territorial and New Mexico District Courts for Guadalupe County, 1893-1965 (Bulk 1893-1931)
- Edited Full Draft
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is in English
- June 28, 2004: PUBLIC "-//New Mexico State Records Center and Archives//TEXT (US::Nm-Ar::1976-025::Records of the United States Territorial and New Mexico District Courts for Guadalupe County)//EN" "nmar1976-025.sgml" converted from EAD 1.0 to 2002 by v1to02.xsl (sy2003-10-15).
- Monday, 20210524: Attribute normal is missing or blank.