Records of the United States Territorial and New Mexico District Courts for DoÃ±a Ana County,
Scope and Content
Collection consists of the territorial and New Mexico District Court records for DoÃ±a Ana County, New Mexico (1851-1961). The bulk of the material covers the years 1851-1950. Included are record books (1851-1913), case files (1852-1950), and other court material. Record books consist of various dockets (1851-1913) and court proceedings record books (1852-1911). Dockets include criminal (1885-1911), civil (1874-1913), civil and criminal (1852-1856, 1869-1886), and some civil indices. Judge's dockets cover criminal (1874-1908) and civil (1874-1913) proceedings. Court proceeding books include civil and criminal records (1854-1911). Other record books include United States District Court records (1852-1853, 1856), Chancery (1889-1901), and a fee cost book (1853-1854). Case files consist of criminal cases 1-8408 (1852-1950), civil cases 105-3177 (1871-1938), and juvenile cases (1936-1955). Juvenile case files are restricted/confidential (Laws of 1943, Chapter 40, Sec. 4). Also included are Civil War confiscation cases. Large gaps may exist between case files. Many criminal and civil case files are unnumbered. Other court material consists of bonds, subpoenas, admissions to the bar, jury records, and miscellaneous court records.
- 1851-1961 (bulk, 1851-1914)
Language of Materials
Limited duplication allowed for research purposes. User is responsible for all copyright compliance.
DoÃ±a Ana County, New Mexico was established in 1852 and formed part of the 3rd Judicial District of the United States Territorial Courts in New Mexico. Upon statehood in 1912, the Territorial Courts became the New Mexico District Courts.
48 linear feet + 46 v.
Collection is organized into seven series:
- I. Docket Books
- II. Record Books (Journals)
- III. Miscellaneous Record Books
- IV. Miscellaneous Records
- V. Criminal Case Files
- VI. Civil Case Files
- VII. Juvenile Case Files
- New Mexico State Records Center and Archives
- Archives and Historical Services Division
- 1205 Camino Carlos Rey
- Santa Fe, New Mexico 87505
- Phone: 505-476-7908
- Fax: 505-476-7909
- Email: email@example.com
- URL: http://www.state.nm.us/cpr/ahsd_top.htm
- Bonds (legal records)
- Civil procedure--New Mexico--Doña Ana County
- Criminal procedure--New Mexico--Doña Ana County
- Doña Ana County (N.M.) -- History
- Doña Ana County (N.M.) -- Politics -- 1848-1950
- Equity pleading and procedure--New Mexico--Doña Ana County
- Judicial records
- Lawyers--New Mexico--Doña Ana County
- Legal files
- State government records
- Territorial records
- Trial and arbitral proceedings
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1965
- Inventory of the Records of the United States Territorial and New Mexico District Courts for DoÃ±a Ana County, 1851-1961 (bulk, 1851-1914)
- Edited Full Draft
- Processed by Staff
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is in English
- June 28, 2004: PUBLIC "-//New Mexico State Records Center and Archives//TEXT (US::Nm-Ar::1976-015::Records of the United States Territorial and New Mexico District Courts for Dona Ana County)//EN" "nmar1976-015.sgml" converted from EAD 1.0 to 2002 by v1to02.xsl (sy2003-10-15).
- Monday, 20210524: Attribute normal is missing or blank.