Skip to main content

Bowman's Bank Collection,

 Collection
Identifier: 1974-045

Scope and Content

Collection consists of materials from the Bowmans Bank of Las Cruces, New Mexico (1896-1928). The bulk of the materials cover the years, 1896-1904. There are seven letterbooks of letters sent and 23 ledgers as well as journals and cash books that document some of the banks financial transactions. The balance of the material consists of the correspondence of Henry D. Bowman. This correspondence pertains to banking matters, real estate, and mining in New Mexico. Includes letters related to Henrys position as an officer of the Torpedo Mining Company.

Dates

  • 1896-1928 (bulk 1896-1904)

Language of Materials

English.

Access Restrictions

None

Copy Restrictions

Limited duplication allowed for research purposes. User is responsible for all copyright compliance.

Historical Note

The George D. Bowman and Son Bank (known as the Bowmans Bank) was established in Las Cruces, New Mexico in the latter part of the nineteenth century. George D. Bowman was president of the bank from its establishment until his death in 1903. In 1902 he was elected Director of the Sierra Blanca Gold and Copper Company. He had two sons, George R. Bowman of Fort Worth, Texas and Henry D. Bowman of Las Cruces. Henry D. Bowman managed and operated Bowmans Bank as a partner and cashier.

Prior to managing Bowmans Bank, Henry practiced law in Las Cruces. He married Carrie O. (Otto?) and had two sons. Aside from his banking ventures Henry was involved in various pursuits in the Mesilla Valley. Since 1878 he had been associated with the U.S. Land Office in Las Cruces and was appointed Receiver of the Land Office in 1897. Henry served in this position until 1909. Offered an appointment to the Board of Regents of the New Mexico College of Agriculture and Mechanic Arts (present day New Mexico State University) in 1898, Henry declined the appointment because of his appointment in 1897 as Receiver of the U.S. Land Office in Las Cruces. In 1897 he disclosed information about Demeterio Chavez, Secretary-Treasurer of the New Mexico College of Agriculture and Mechanic Arts, for alleged embezzlement of funds. By 1900, Henry was Treasurer of the Rio Grande Irrigation Company, and was elected Director of the Rio Grande Dam and Irrigation Company in 1901. Both of these companies were involved in the Elephant Butte Dam Project. Henry also served as an insurance agent for several insurance companies and dealt extensively with real estate. He was instrumental in establishing a permanent Methodist Church, as well as being active in the civic affairs of the Mesilla Valley.

An active Republican, Henry was elected as delegate to the national convention in 1900. Some of his political allies were William H. Andrews, Max Frost, W.H.H. Llewellyn, Judge John Van Patton, and Bernard S. Rodey.

Extent

3 linear feet + 32 v.

Organization

Collection is organized into four series:
  1. I. Business letters received
  2. II. Miscellaneous
  3. III. Business letters sent
  4. IV. Ledgers, journals, and cash books

General

Contact Information

  1. New Mexico State Records Center and Archives
  2. Archives and Historical Services Division
  3. 1205 Camino Carlos Rey
  4. Santa Fe, New Mexico 87505
  5. Phone: 505-476-7908
  6. Fax: 505-476-7909
  7. Email: archives@rain.state.nm.us
  8. URL: http://www.state.nm.us/cpr/ahsd_top.htm

General

Title
Inventory of the Bowman's Bank Collection, 1896-1928 (bulk 1896-1904)
Status
Edited Full Draft
Author
Processed by Daphne S.O. Arnaiz-DeLeon
Date
©2000
Language of description
Undetermined
Script of description
Code for undetermined script
Language of description note
Finding aid is in English

Revision Statements

  • June 28, 2004: PUBLIC "-//New Mexico State Records Center and Archives//TEXT (US::Nm-Ar::1974-045::Bowman's Bank Collection)//EN" "nmar1974-045.sgml" converted from EAD 1.0 to 2002 by v1to02.xsl (sy2003-10-15).
  • Monday, 20210524: Attribute normal is missing or blank.

Repository Details

Part of the New Mexico State Records Center and Archives Repository

Contact:
1209 Camino Carlos Rey
Santa Fe NM 87507
(505) 476-7913