Bernalillo County, N.M. Records,
Scope and Content
Holdings consist of records of the county clerk (1848-1920), assessor (1870-1912), sheriff (1856, 1889-1899), county commission (1876-1889, 1927), justice of the peace (1854-1899), probate court (1849-1927), and school superintendent (1858-1887). Clerks records include registers of deeds, mines, licenses, brands, oaths and bonds, mortgages, chattel mortgages, liens, and notarial records; election results, abstracts of deeds; and various other documents. Probate records include adoptions (1879-1912). Coroners inquests are filed in the justice of the peace records. Oversize records include an Albuquerque census (1885) and minutes of the River Commission (1891-1903). Unprocessed materials include legal files (1917).
Some materials are in Spanish
Some materials are in Spanish
- 1849-1927 (Bulk 1849-1900)
Language of Materials
English, and Spanish.
Documents are fragile. Use microfilm if available.
Limited duplication allowed for research purposes. User is responsible for all copyright compliance.
With the occupation of New Mexico in 1846 by the United States, seven political subdivisions established by Mexico in 1844 were recognized as counties under the Kearny Code of Laws. Bernalillo County was one of these original seven counties. New Mexico remained under a military form of government until Sept. 9, 1850, when an act of Congress established the Territory of New Mexico. On Jan. 9, 1852, the boundaries of the counties were fixed by an act of the Territorial Legislative Assembly. Bernalillo County, New Mexico was created in 1852.
7.5 linear feet + 83 v. + 70 rolls
Some records are available on microfilm.
- New Mexico State Records Center and Archives
- Archives and Historical Services Division
- 1205 Camino Carlos Rey
- Santa Fe, New Mexico 87505
- Phone: 505-476-7908
- Fax: 505-476-7909
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- URL: http://www.state.nm.us/cpr/ahsd_top.htm
- Adoption -- New Mexico -- Bernalillo County
- Albuquerque (N.M.) -- Census -- 1885
- Bernalillo County (N.M.) -- History
- Bernalillo County (N.M.) -- Politics and government
- Bonds (legal records)
- Census records
- Coroners -- New Mexico -- Bernalillo County
- Deed books
- Judicial records
- Land titles -- Registration and transfer -- New Mexico -- Bernalillo County
- Legal files
- Livestock brands -- New Mexico -- Bernalillo County
- Local government -- Records
- Marriage records
- Mining claims -- New Mexico -- Bernalillo County
- Notarial documents
- Tax records
- Voting registers
- Inventory of the Bernalillo County, N.M. Records, 1849-1927 (Bulk 1849-1900)
- Edited Full Draft
- Revised by Daphne S.O. Amaiz-DeLeon
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is in English
- June 28, 2004: PUBLIC "-//New Mexico State Records Center and Archives//TEXT (US::Nm-Ar::1974-034::Bernalillo County, N.M. Records)//EN" "nmar1974-034.sgml" converted from EAD 1.0 to 2002 by v1to02.xsl (sy2003-10-15).
- Monday, 20210524: Attribute normal is missing or blank.