Valencia County, N.M. Records,
Scope and Content
Collection consists of the records of Valencia County, New Mexico (1847-1979). The bulk of the records cover the dates 1846 to 1964. Included are records of the county clerk (1849-1864), assessor (1870-1920), treasurer (1847-1912), sheriff (1885-1927), county commission (1881-1928, 1979), justice of the peace (1844-1946), probate court (1846-1937), county school superintendent (1939-1942), and miscellaneous records (1916-ca. 1930). Clerks records include correspondence; registers of oaths and bonds, brands, licenses, and partido contracts; land records; election records; some marriages (1869-1912); and homestead certificates (1896-1906). County commission records include correspondence; proceedings; reports concerning roads, bridges, and courthouse construction; petitions; correspondence of the county road board (1913-1916); and special censuses of Belen (1918) and Los Lunas (1928). Justice of the peace records contain coroners inquests (1882-1908), and several cases concerning water rights disputes (1891). Unprocessed materials include additional justice of the peace records (ca. 1922) and notarial records.
Some records are in Spanish.
Some records are in Spanish.
- 1847-1979 (bulk 1846-1964)
Language of Materials
English, and Spanish.
Documents are fragile. Use microfilm if available.
Limited duplication allowed for research purposes. User is responsible for all copyright compliance.
With the occupation of New Mexico in 1846 by the United States, seven political subdivisions established by Mexico in 1844 were recognized as counties under the Kearny Code of Laws. Valencia County was one of these seven original counties. New Mexico remained under a military form of government until Sept. 9, 1850, when an act of Congress established the Territory of New Mexico. On Jan. 9, 1852, the boundaries of the counties were fixed by an act of the Territorial Legislative Assembly. Valencia County, New Mexico, was created in 1852.
4 linear feet + 15 v. + 10 rolls
Some records are available on microfilm.
- New Mexico State Records Center and Archives
- Archives and Historical Services Division
- 1205 Camino Carlos Rey
- Santa Fe, New Mexico 87505
- Phone: 505-476-7908
- Fax: 505-476-7909
- Email: email@example.com
- URL: http://www.state.nm.us/cpr/ahsd_top.htm
- Belen (N.M.) -- Census -- 1918
- Bonds (legal records)
- Census records
- Coroners -- New Mexico -- Valencia County
- Deed books
- Homestead law -- New Mexico -- Valencia County
- Judicial records
- Land titles -- Registration and transfer -- New Mexico -- Valencia County
- Legal files
- Livestock brands -- New Mexico -- Valencia County
- Local government -- Records
- Los Lunas (N.M.) -- Census -- 1928
- Marriage records
- Mining claims -- New Mexico -- Valencia County
- Notarial documents
- Schools -- New Mexico -- Valencia County
- Tax records
- Valencia County (N.M.) -- History
- Valencia County (N.M.) -- Politics and government
- Voting registers
- Water rights -- New Mexico -- Valencia County
- Inventory of the Valencia County, N.M. Records, 1847-1979 (bulk 1846-1964)
- Edited Full Draft
- Processed by Daphne S.O. Arnaiz-DeLeon
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is in English
- June 28, 2004: PUBLIC "-//New Mexico State Records Center and Archives//TEXT (US::Nm-Ar::1974-031::Valencia County, N.M. Records)//EN" "nmar1974-031.sgml" converted from EAD 1.0 to 2002 by v1to02.xsl (sy2003-10-15).
- Monday, 20210524: Attribute normal is missing or blank.