Taos County, N.M. Records,
Scope and Content
Collection consists of the records of Taos County, New Mexico (1847-1959). Included are records of the county clerk (1847-1959), assessor (1881-1929), county commissioners (1876-1944), treasurer/collector (1899-1918), justice of the peace (1863-1946), probate court (1847-1958), coroner (1862), county school superintendent/school board (1905-1924), and miscellaneous records consisting of the political correspondence of Taos County Sheriff Columbus Ferguson (1950-1956). Clerks records include registers of deeds, chattel mortgages, marriages, notarial records, licenses, bonds, mining claims, and partido contracts; voter lists; election results; bylaws; and a register of stray animals. The register also contains materials on Indian depredations in the Taos area (1856-1889). County commissioners records include proceedings and a poll tally of the special election of delegates to the Constitutional Convention of 1889. Probate records include proceedings, wills and estates, guardianships, and two adoptions (1905,1906).
Some materials in Spanish.
Some materials in Spanish.
Language of Materials
English, and Spanish.
Documents are fragile. Use microfilm if available.
Limited duplication allowed for research purposes. User is responsible for all copyright compliance.
With the occupation of New Mexico in 1846 by the United States, seven political subdivisions established by Mexico in 1844 were recognized as counties under the Kearny Code of Laws. Taos County was one of these seven original counties. New Mexico remained under a military form of government until Sept. 9, 1850, when an act of Congress established the Territory of New Mexico. On Jan. 9, 1852, the boundaries of the counties were fixed by an act of the Territorial Legislative Assembly. Taos County, New Mexico was created in 1852.
12 linear feet + 26 v. + 9 rolls
Some records are available on microfilm.
- New Mexico State Records Center and Archives
- Archives and Historical Services Division
- 1205 Camino Carlos Rey
- Santa Fe, New Mexico 87505
- Phone: 505-476-7908
- Fax: 505-476-7909
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- URL: http://www.state.nm.us/cpr/ahsd_top.htm
- Adoptions -- New Mexico -- Taos County
- Bonds (legal records)
- Coroners -- New Mexico -- Taos County
- Deed books
- Indians of North America -- Claims against -- New Mexico -- Taos County
- Judicial records
- Land titles -- Registration and transfer -- New Mexico -- Taos County
- Legal files
- Local government -- Records
- Marriage records
- Mining claims -- New Mexico -- Taos County
- Notarial documents
- Sheriffs -- New Mexico -- Taos County
- Taos County (N.M.) -- History
- Taos County (N.M.) -- Politics and government
- Tax records
- Voting registers
- Inventory of the Taos County, N.M. Records, 1847-1959
- Edited Full Draft
- Processed by Daphne S.O. Arnaiz-DeLeon
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is in English
- June 28, 2004: PUBLIC "-//New Mexico State Records Center and Archives//TEXT (US::Nm-Ar::1974-030::Taos County, N.M. Records)//EN" "nmar1974-030.sgml" converted from EAD 1.0 to 2002 by v1to02.xsl (sy2003-10-15).
- Monday, 20210524: Attribute normal is missing or blank.