San Miguel County, N.M. Records,
Scope and Content
Collection consists of the records of San Miguel County, New Mexico (1847-1942). Included are records of the county clerk (1847-1930), assessor (1870-1913), treasurer (1865-1875), sheriff (1853, 1887-1888), county commissioners (1876-1889), justice of the peace (1858-1925), probate court (1847-1940) and school superintendent (1879-1908). Clerks records include a census of Tecolote, New Mexico (1855); registers of brands, licenses, liens, deed receipts, oaths and bonds, chattel mortgages and mining claims; articles of incorporation; election records; and a tax roll. Justice of the peace records include inquests (1875-1891). Probate records include a volume of wills and testaments (1859-1862) that also lists Indian depredation claim recorded by justices of the peace in various precincts (1856-1864), as well as administrative, adoption (1888-1911), guardianship (1865-1942), and estate matters (1855-1940). Miscellaneous records include information on the demolition of the county courthouse and jail.
Some materials are in Spanish.
Some materials are in Spanish.
Language of Materials
English, and Spanish.
Documents are fragile. Use microfilm if available.
Limited duplication allowed for research purposes. User is responsible for all copyright compliance.
With the occupation of New Mexico in 1846 by the United States, seven political subdivisions established by Mexico in 1844 were recognized as counties under the Kearny Code of Laws. San Miguel County was one of these seven original counties. New Mexico remained under a military form of government until Sept. 9, 1850, when an act of Congress established the Territory of New Mexico. On Jan. 9, 1852, the boundaries of the counties were fixed by an act of the Territorial Legislative Assembly. San Miguel County, New Mexico was created in 1852.
17 linear feet + 22 v. + 14 rolls
Some records are available on microfilm.
- New Mexico State Records Center and Archives
- Archives and Historical Services Division
- 1205 Camino Carlos Rey
- Santa Fe, New Mexico 87505
- Phone: 505-476-7908
- Fax: 505-476-7909
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- URL: http://www.state.nm.us/cpr/ahsd_top.htm
- Articles of incorporation
- Bonds (legal records)
- Census records
- Coroners -- New Mexico -- San Miguel County
- Indians of North America -- Claims against -- New Mexico -- San Miguel County
- Judicial records
- Land titles -- Registration and transfer -- New Mexico -- San Miguel County
- Legal files
- Livestock brands -- New Mexico -- San Miguel County
- Local government -- Records
- Mining claims -- New Mexico -- San Miguel County
- San Miguel County (N.M.) -- History
- San Miguel County (N.M.) -- Politics and government
- Tax records
- Tecolote (N.M.) -- Census, 1855
- Voting registers
- Inventory of the San Miguel County, N.M. Records, 1847-1942
- Edited Full Draft
- Processed by Daphne S.O. Arnaiz-DeLeon
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is in English
- June 28, 2004: PUBLIC "-//New Mexico State Records Center and Archives//TEXT (US::Nm-Ar::1974-026::San Miguel County, N.M. Records)//EN" "nmar1974-026.sgml" converted from EAD 1.0 to 2002 by v1to02.xsl (sy2003-10-15).
- Monday, 20210524: Attribute normal is missing or blank.