Rio Arriba County, N.M. Records,
Scope and Content
Collection consists of the records of Rio Arriba County, New Mexico (1847-1957). The bulk of the materials cover the years 1847 to 1900. Included are records of the county clerk (1847-1938), assessor (1870-1912), sheriff (1849-1927), county commission (1882-1927), justice of the peace (1852-1938, 1957), probate court (1848-1918), and coroner's inquests (1883-1937). County Clerk records include registers of deeds, oaths and bonds, marriages, licenses, mines, and partido contracts; poll and tally books; voter lists; notarial records; incorporations; and a n incomplete county census (1895). Assessor's records include Thomas B. Catron's tax assessment protest (1888-1890) and an assessment book for the Santa Cruz Irrigation District (1930-1935). County commission records contain material on bridge and courthouse construction, schools, and acequias.
Some materials are in Spanish.
Some materials are in Spanish.
- 1847-1957 ( Bulk 1870-1900)
Language of Materials
English, and Spanish.
Documents are fragile. Use microfilm if available.
Limited duplication allowed for research purposes. User is responsible for all copyright compliance.
With the occupation of New Mexico in 1846 by the United States, seven political subdivisions established by Mexico in 1844 were recognized as counties under the Kearny Code of Laws. Rio Arriba County was one of these seven original counties. New Mexico remained under a military form of government until Sept. 9, 1850, when an act of Congress established the Territory of New Mexico. On Jan. 9, 1852, the boundaries of the counties were fixed by an act of the Territorial Legislative Assembly. Rio Arriba County, New Mexico was created in 1852.
5.5 linear feet + 4 v. + 6 rolls
Some records are available on microfilm.
- New Mexico State Records Center and Archives
- Archives and Historical Services Division
- 1205 Camino Carlos Rey
- Santa Fe, New Mexico 87505
- Phone: 505-476-7908
- Fax: 505-476-7909
- Email: email@example.com
- URL: http://www.state.nm.us/cpr/ahsd_top.htm
- Articles of incorporation
- Bonds (legal records)
- Census records
- Coroners -- Rio Arriba County (N.M.)
- Homestead law -- New Mexico -- Rio Arriba County
- Judicial records
- Land titles -- Registration and transfer -- New Mexico -- Rio Arriba County
- Legal files
- Marriage records
- Mining claims -- New Mexico -- Rio Arriba County
- Notarial documents
- Rio Arriba County (N.M.) -- Census, 1895
- Rio Arriba County (N.M.) -- History
- Rio Arriba County (N.M.) -- Politics and government
- Schools -- New Mexico -- Rio Arriba County
- Tax records
- Voting registers
- Water rights -- New Mexico -- Rio Arriba County
- Inventory of the Rio Arriba County, N.M. Records, 1847-1957 ( Bulk 1870-1900)
- Edited Full Draft
- Revised by Daphne S.O. Amaiz-DeLeon
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is in English
- June 28, 2004: PUBLIC "-//New Mexico State Records Center and Archives//TEXT (US::Nm-Ar::1974-024::Rio Arriba County, N.M. Records)//EN" "nmar1974-024.sgml" converted from EAD 1.0 to 2002 by v1to02.xsl (sy2003-10-15).
- Monday, 20210524: Attribute normal is missing or blank.