M.E. and James V. Noble Papers,
Scope and Content
Collection consists of the legal papers of Merrill E. Noble and the legal and personal papers of James V. Noble. The bulk of the collection consists of the legal files of Merrill's and James' private practice in Las Vegas. Legal files include correspondence, pleadings, and other materials that pertain to various civil, criminal, and probate cases in New Mexico. Included are papers pertaining to the following land grants: Las Vegas, Anton Chico, Preston Beck, Ortiz, and Tecolote; land titles in Mora, Lea, Union, Harding, and San Miguel Counties, and the city of Las Vegas. Personal papers include correspondence, financial records, and legal records of the Noble family.
Language of Materials
Limited duplication allowed for research purposes. User is responsible for all copyright compliance.
Merrill E. Noble and his son James V. Noble practiced law in Las Vegas, New Mexico. Merrill formed a partnership with Waldo Speiss and established the firm of Noble and Speiss. When James joined the firm it was renamed Noble, Speiss, & Noble. Merrill served as the District Attorney for the Fourth Judicial District of New Mexico and as a State Supreme Court Justice. James serves as the First Assistant Attorney General for New Mexico.
56 Linear Feet
Papers arranged by case file number and indexed by name.
- New Mexico State Records Center and Archives
- Archives and Historical Services Division
- 1205 Camino Carlos Rey
- Santa Fe, New Mexico 87505
- Phone: 505-476-7908
- Fax: 505-476-7909
- Email: email@example.com
- URL: http://www.state.nm.us/cpr/ahsd_top.htm
- Anton Chico Land Grant (N.M.)
- Civil procedure --New Mexico
- Criminal procedure --New Mexico
- Estate records
- Family papers
- Harding County (N.M.) -- History
- Land grants --New Mexico
- Land titles --New Mexico
- Las Vegas (N.M.) -- History
- Las Vegas Land Grant (N.M.)
- Lawyers --New Mexico--Las Vegas
- Lea County (N.M.) -- History
- Legal files
- Mora County (N.M.) -- History
- Ortiz Land Grant (N.M.)
- Preston Beck Land Grant (N.M.)
- Probate law and practice --New Mexico
- San Miguel County (N.M.) --History
- Tecolote Land Grant (N.M.)
- Union County (N.M.) -- History
- Inventory of the M.E. and James V. Noble Papers, 1912-1960
- Edited Full Draft
- Processed by staff
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is in English
- June 28, 2004: PUBLIC "-//New Mexico State Records Center and Archives//TEXT (US::Nm-Ar::1973-044::M.E. and James V. Noble Papers)//EN" "nmar1973-044.sgml" converted from EAD 1.0 to 2002 by v1to02.xsl (sy2003-10-15).
- Monday, 20210524: Attribute normal is missing or blank.