New Mexico Office of Indian Affairs Records and Research Materials,
Scope and Content
As of 2000 collection consists of the records and research materials of the New Mexico Office of Indian Affairs (1936-1995). Records include correspondence, reports, audits, personnel records, publications and other administrative records. Research materials include clippings and documents pertaining to Indians of New Mexico and various state, regional, and national Indian organizations including the All Indian Pueblo Council. Also included are materials pertaining to federal legislation concerning Indians.
Language of Materials
Limited duplication allowed for research purposes. User responsible for all copyright compliance.
The Commission on Indian Affairs was established in 1955 (1955 NM Laws, Chp. 162, Sec. 1-7). This law was amended in 1975 and the Commission's name was changed to the Office of Indian Affairs and it was adminitratively attached to the Human Services Dept. (1975 NM Laws, Chp. 11, Sec. 1-4). In 1955 the functions of the Commission were to investigate, study and consider Indian conditions and relations. In 1975 two more duties were added: 1. to coordinate inter-governmental programs concerning tribal governments and the state of New Mexico and 2. to set policy for all state programs affecting Indians of New Mexico.
20 Linear Feet
- New Mexico State Records Center and Archives
- Archives and Historical Services Division
- 1205 Camino Carlos Rey
- Santa Fe, New Mexico 87505
- Phone: 505-476-7908
- Fax: 505-476-7909
- Email: email@example.com
- URL: http://www.state.nm.us/cpr/ahsd_top.htm
- Administrative agencies -- New Mexico
- All Indian Pueblo Council
- Financial records
- Indians of North America -- Law & legislation
- Indians of North America -- New Mexico
- Indians of North America Societies, etc.
- New Mexico -- History -- 1848-
- New Mexico -- Officials and employees
- New Mexico -- Politics and government -- 1848-1950
- New Mexico -- Politics and government -- 1951-
- State government records
- Inventory of the New Mexico Office of Indian Affairs Records and Research Materials, 1936-[ongoing]
- Edited Full Draft
- Processed by Shan Sutton
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is in English
- June 28, 2004: PUBLIC "-//New Mexico State Records Center and Archives//TEXT (US::Nm-Ar::1972-006::New Mexico Office of Indian Affairs Records and Research Materials)//EN" "nm-ar#1972-006.sgml" converted from EAD 1.0 to 2002 by v1to02.xsl (sy2003-10-15).
- Monday, 20210524: Attribute normal is missing or blank.