Elisha V. and Boaz W. Long Papers,
Scope and Content
Collection consists of Elisha V. and Boaz W. Long's personal, legal, and dipolmatic correspondence; legal and business records; manuscripts and reports; clippings; and family papers. A large portion of the collection consists of: the legal papers of Elisha V. Long during his tenure as district attorney for several New Mexico counties (1896-1899), as the Chief Justice of the New Mexico Territorial Supreme Court (1885- 1890), and as a private attorney; and the official papers of Boaz W. Long during his tenure as U.S. Ambassador to various Central American and Carribean countries (1920s-1940s). Extensive correspondence between Elisha and Boaz span the years 1881 to 1925. Business records include account books and family papers include Boaz's diaries (1894-1968). Noted subjects are: the Anton Chico, Las Vegas, Maxwell, Mora, Los Trigos, Pablo Montoya, and Pablo Melendres land grants; the New Mexico Constitution; the Mexican Revolution; Mexican Telephone and Telegraph (1910-1931); the National Recovery Administration (1933-1936); and World War II.
Some materials are in Spanish.
Some materials are in Spanish.
Language of Materials
English, and Spanish.
Limited duplication allowed for research purposes. User is responsible for all copyright compliance.
Elisha V. Long served as Chief Justice of the Territorial Supreme Court of New Mexico (1885-1890) and as the district attorney for the counties of Guadalupe, Mora, and San Miguel (1896-1899). His son Boaz W. Long served as U.S. ambassador to various Latin American countries and as the Director of the Museum of New Mexico.
70 linear feet + 1 oversize v.
Collection is organized into two series:
- Elisha V. Long papers, 1857-1928
- Boaz W. Long papers, 1868-1970
Photographs received with the collection are housed and cataloged separately. Publications received with the collection are housed in the Archives Research Room. Consult archivist regarding related maps.
- New Mexico State Records Center and Archives
- Archives and Historical Services Division
- 1205 Camino Carlos Rey
- Santa Fe, New Mexico 87505
- Phone: 505-476-7908
- Fax: 505-476-7909
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- URL: http://www.state.nm.us/cpr/ahsd_top.htm
- Account books
- Ambassadors -- United States
- Anton Chico Land Grant (N.M.)
- Constitutional History -- New Mexico
- Constitutional Law -- New Mexico
- Judges -- New Mexico
- Las Vegas Land Grant (N.M.)
- Los Trijos Land Grant (N.M.)
- Maxwell Land Grant (N.M. and Colo.)
- Mexico -- History -- Revolution, 1910-1920
- Mora Land Grant (N.M.)
- New Mexico -- Maps
- New Mexico -- Politics and government -- 1848-1950
- New Mexico -- Social life and customs
- Pablo Melendres Land Grant (N.M.)
- Pablo Montoya Land Grant (N.M.)
- United States -- Foreign Economic Relations
- World War, 1939-1945
- Inventory of the Elisha V. and Boaz W. Long Papers, 1857-1970
- Edited Full Draft
- Processed by Mary Brecht
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is in English
- June 28, 2004: PUBLIC "-//New Mexico State Records Center and Archives//TEXT (US::Nm-Ar::1972-003::Elisha V. and Boaz W. Long Papers)//EN" "nmar1972-003.sgml" converted from EAD 1.0 to 2002 by v1to02.xsl (sy2003-10-15).
- Monday, 20210524: Attribute normal is missing or blank.