New Mexico Livestock Board Records,
Scope and Content
As of 2000 collection consists of the records of the New Mexico Livestock Board (1972-1983) and its two predecessors: the New Mexico Cattle Sanitary Board (1887-1957) and the New Mexico Sheep Sanitary Board (1899-1956). Records consists primarily of brand registers. Includes some indexes; registers of strays; annual, special, and fiscal reports; and minutes of board meetings. The listing of brands within the registers varies, some are chronological, some are according to the brand symbol, and some are according to the owners last name.
Language of Materials
Access is restricted to original territorial records that have been microfilmed. Use microfilm only.
Limited duplication allowed for research purposes. User responsible for all copyright compliance.
In 1887 the Cattle Sanitary Board was established (1887 NM Laws, Chp. 3, Sec. 1-27) and in 1897 the Sheep Sanitary Board was established (1897 NM Laws, Chp. 52, Sec. 1-11). In 1967 both the Cattle Sanitary Board and the Sheep Sanitary Board were abolished and their duties were transferred to the newly created Livestock Board (1967 NM Laws, Chp. 213, Sec. 1-12). The purpose of the Board is to exercise all general supervision over the livestock interests of the state, to protect the industry from theft and contagious and infectious diseases, and to protect the public from diseased and unwholesome meat and meat products.
3 linear feet + 136 v.
A portion of the records from the territorial period are also available on microfilm as part of the Territorial Archives of New Mexico (rolls 94-95).
- New Mexico State Records Center and Archives
- Archives and Historical Services Division
- 1205 Camino Carlos Rey
- Santa Fe, New Mexico 87505
- Phone: 505-476-7908
- Fax: 505-476-7909
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- URL: http://www.state.nm.us/cpr/ahsd_top.htm
- Administrative agencies -- New Mexico
- Animal health -- New Mexico
- Animal industry -- Law and legislation -- New Mexico
- Livestock -- Inspection -- New Mexico
- Livestock -- New Mexico
- Livestock brands -- New Mexico
- Minutes (Records)
- New Mexico -- History -- 1848-
- New Mexico -- Politics and government -- 1848-1950
- New Mexico -- Politics and government -- 1951-
- State government records
- Territorial records
- Inventory of the New Mexico Livestock Board Records, 1887-[ongoing]
- Edited Full Draft
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is in English
- June 28, 2004: PUBLIC "-//New Mexico State Records Center and Archives//TEXT (US::Nm-Ar::1967-002::New Mexico Livestock Board Records)//EN" "nm-ar#1967-002.sgml" converted from EAD 1.0 to 2002 by v1to02.xsl (sy2003-10-15).
- Monday, 20210524: Attribute normal is missing or blank.