New Mexico State Mine Inspector Records,
Scope and Content
As of 1999 collection consists of records of the New Mexico State Mine Inspector (1895-1981). Includes annual reports, administrative correspondence with miners' unions and federal mining agencies, speeches, inspection reports, and materials on various topics such as mining accidents and safety. Also within the collection are annual reports of the U.S. Coal Mine Inspector for the Territory of New Mexico (1895) and the U.S. Mine Inspector for the Territory of New Mexico (1903-1911), and documents from the U.S. Bureau of Mines concerning underground mines (1967-1968).
Language of Materials
Limited duplication allowed for research purposes. User is responsible for all copyright compliance.
Prior to 1912, mines in New Mexico were inspected by federal officials such as the U.S. Mine Inspector for the Territory of New Mexico and the U.S. Coal Mine Inspector for the Territory of New Mexico. In 1912 a legislative act established the State Mine Inspector (1912 Laws of N.M., Chp. 80. Sec. 4). In 1977 a legislative act established the Energy and Minerals Department and placed the State Mine Inspector within that Department's Mining and Minerals Division (1977 Laws of N.M., Chp. 255, Sec. 15). In 1987 a legislative act abolished the Energy and Minerals Department and transferred the State Mine Inspector and the Mining and Minerals Division to the newly-established Energy, Minerals, and Natural Resources Department (1987 Laws of N.M., Chp. 234, Sec. 48). In 1989 a legislative act transferred the State Mine Inspector to the New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology (1989 Laws of N.M., Chp. 193, Sec. 3). The State Mine Inspector is responsible for inspecting and approving mines operating in New Mexico; and compiling and publishing statistics on New Mexico mining, geology, milling, metallurgy, and oil and gas refining.
19 Linear Feet
Collection is organized into 16 series:
- I. Reports (1895-1965)
- II. Indian mines (1950-62)
- III. Correspondence of Mine Inspector, Pt. 1 (1949-62)
- IV. Fatal mine accidents (1933-74)
- V. Non-fatal mine accidents (1950-73)
- VI. Deaths not charged to mine industry (1946-74)
- VII. Abandoned mine deaths (1960-68)
- VIII. Miscellaneous (1948-68)
- IX. U.S. Bureau of Mines (1967-68)
- X. Safety inspections (1957-80)
- XI. Safety orders and travel regulations (1955-72)
- XII. Safety recommendations (1966-68)
- XIII. Journals on coal mines and fatal accidents (1934-51)
- XIV. Correspondence of Mine Inspector, Pt. 2 (1960-81)
- XV. Safety materials (1963-80)
- XVI. Miscellaneous reports (1962-77)
Portions of the collection are also available on microfilm.
Photographs received with the collection are housed and cataloged separately.
- New Mexico State Records Center and Archives
- Archives and Historical Services Division
- 1205 Camino Carlos Rey
- Santa Fe, New Mexico 87505
- Phone: 505-476-7908
- Fax: 505-476-7909
- Email: email@example.com
- URL: http://www.state.nm.us/cpr/ahsd_top.htm
Number, Location, Coll no, Accession, Subdivision, Dates, Record type
- Administrative agencies -- New Mexico
- Annual reports
- Mine accidents -- New Mexico
- Mine safety -- New Mexico
- Mines and mineral resources -- New Mexico
- Mining corporations -- New Mexico
- Minutes (Records)
- New Mexico -- History -- 1848-
- New Mexico -- Officials and employees
- New Mexico -- Politics and government -- 1848-1950
- New Mexico -- Politics and government -- 1951-
- State government records
- Territorial records
- Inventory of the New Mexico State Mine Inspector Records, 1895-[on-going]
- Edited Full Draft
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is in English
- June 28, 2004: PUBLIC "-//New Mexico State Records Center and Archives//TEXT (US::Nm-Ar::1965-002::New Mexico State Mine Inspector Records)//EN" "nmar1965-002.sgml" converted from EAD 1.0 to 2002 by v1to02.xsl (sy2003-10-15).
- Monday, 20210524: Attribute normal is missing or blank.