Scope and Content
Collection consists of the papers of James J. Shuler and Oscar E. Berninghaus. Series I consists primarily of Shuler's professional papers as a doctor, businessman, and Mayor in Raton, New Mexico. Much of the collection consists of letters sent by Shuler to various individuals concerning topics such as real estate, mining, irrigation, his medical practice, the New Mexico Municipal League, the Panama-California Exposition of 1915, and civic improvement projects in Raton. Some of the major recepients of Shuler's letters include D.K.B. Sellers (Mayor of Albuquerque), Ralph E. Twitchell (a member with Shuler of the New Mexico Board of Managers for the Panama-California Exposition), and Holly B. Armstrong (a business colleague). Collection also includes materials relating to the Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe Railroad, which employed Shuler as a doctor; the "Raton Reporter" newspaper which was owned by Shuler; and his medical practice, with notebooks from medical school and some patient reports. Series II consists primarily of personal and business papers of Berninghaus. Includes extensive correspondence with private art collectors, art galleries and art dealers concerning specific paintings (1895-1966); biographical clippings (1919-1956); photographs of Berninghaus and his wife Winnifred; her personal correspondence (1902-1955); and announcements and correspondence concerning other Taos artists. Exhibit brochures, sketches, illustrations, photographs, and descriptions of Berninghaus's paintings are also in this collection.
Language of Materials
Limited duplication allowed for research purposes. User is responsible for all copyright compliance.
James J. Shuler was a doctor and Mayor of Raton, New Mexico in the early twentieth century. Oscar E. Berninghaus was a notable artist in Taos, New Mexico, during the early to mid-twentieth century. His wife Winnifred was the daughter of James J. Shuler.
5 Linear Feet
Collection is organized into two series:
- I. Shuler papers
- II. Berninghaus papers
- New Mexico State Records Center and Archives
- Archives and Historical Services Division
- 1205 Camino Carlos Rey
- Santa Fe, New Mexico 87505
- Phone: 505-476-7908
- Fax: 505-476-7909
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- URL: http://www.state.nm.us/cpr/ahsd_top.htm
- Artists -- New Mexico -- Taos
- Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe Railway Company
- Berninghaus, Oscar E. (Oscar Edmund), 1874-1952
- Canon de San Diego de Jemez Land Grant (N.M.)
- Ditches -- New Mexico
- Irrigation canals and flumes -- New Mexico
- Las Truchas Land Grant (N.M.)
- Mayors -- New Mexico -- Raton
- Mines and mineral resources -- New Mexico
- Montano Land Grant (N.M.)
- New Mexico Municipal League
- Painters -- New Mexico -- Taos
- Physicians -- New Mexico -- Raton
- Raton (N.M.) -- History
- Raton Reporter (Raton, N.M.)
- Real property -- New Mexico
- Sellers, D. K. B.
- Taos Society of Artists
- Inventory of the Shuler-Berninghaus Papers, 1879-1967
- Edited Full Draft
- Processed by
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is in English
- June 28, 2004: PUBLIC "-//New Mexico State Records Center and Archives//TEXT (US::Nm-Ar::1960-036::Shuler-Berninghaus Papers)//EN" "nmar1960-036.sgml" converted from EAD 1.0 to 2002 by v1to02.xsl (sy2003-10-15).
- Monday, 20210524: Attribute normal is missing or blank.