New Mexico State Auditor Records,
Scope and Content
As of 1999 collection consists of records of the New Mexico State Auditor and its predecessors the Auditor and Territorial Auditor (1846-1998). Territorial records (1846-1912) include annual reports, administrative correspondence, financial records documenting court expenses and payments for bounties, reports on indigents and orphans, bonds for sheriffs and tax collectors bonds, and records of equalization taxes and rebates. Statehood records (1912-1998) include annual reports, and audit reports for municipalities, schools, hospitals, judicial districts, colleges, state agencies and special districts involving sanitation, flood control, irrigation, and soil conservation. Also within the collection are minutes, ledger books, and financial documents of the New Mexico State Drought Committee from 1953 to 1960. This Committee operated under the authority of the U.S. Department of Agriculture's Production and Marketing Administration.
Language of Materials
English, and Spanish.
Access is restricted to original territorial records that have been microfilmed. Use microfilm only.
Limited duplication allowed for research purposes. User is responsible for all copyright compliance.
The Auditor was established in 1846 by the Kearny Code, a body of laws created by Gen. Stephen Watts Kearny for the governance of New Mexico after its annexation by the United States in 1846. In 1851 a legislative act established the Territorial Auditor (1851 Laws of NM). Upon New Mexico's attainment of statehood in 1912, the State Auditor was established by the New Mexico State Constitution (NM State Constitution, Art. 5, Sec. 1). The State Auditor's purpose is to monitor and conduct audits of the financial activities of state agencies. This includes promulgating regulations, depositing into the audit fund all fees received, and approving and authorizing payment for audits of state agencies conducted by independent auditors. The State Auditor is also a statutory member of the State Commission of Public Records and the New Mexico Border Authority.
145 Linear Feet
Collection consists of twelve series:
- I. Territorial and early statehood records (1847-1917)
- II. Records of the Auditor of the Territory (Territorial Archives of New Mexico)
- III. Drought Relief Committee (1953-1960)
- IV. Municipalities, towns, and villages (1967-1978)
- V. School boards (1963-1978)
- VI. County governments (1967-1978)
- VII. Series VI. Hospitals (1966-1978)
- VIII. Judicial branch (1959-1978)
- IX. Universities, colleges, and vocational schools (1967-1978)
- X. State agencies (1947-1978)
- XI. Special districts (1960-1978)
- XII. Administrative records (1991-1998)
Some territorial records of the Auditor (1851-1911) are available on microfilm as part of the Territorial Archives of New Mexico (Rolls 47-52).
- New Mexico State Records Center and Archives
- Archives and Historical Services Division
- 1205 Camino Carlos Rey
- Santa Fe, New Mexico 87505
- Phone: 505-476-7908
- Fax: 505-476-7909
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- URL: http://www.state.nm.us/cpr/ahsd_top.htm
- Account books
- Administrative agencies -- New Mexico
- Annual reports
- Bonds (legal records)
- Courts -- New Mexico
- Ditches -- New Mexico
- Drought relief -- New Mexico
- Financial records
- Flood control -- New Mexico
- Irrigation canals and flumes -- New Mexico
- Irrigation districts -- New Mexico
- Minutes (Records)
- New Mexico -- History -- 1848-
- New Mexico -- History -- To 1848
- New Mexico -- Officials and employees
- New Mexico -- Politics and government -- 1848-1950
- New Mexico -- Politics and government -- 1951-
- New Mexico -- Politics and government -- To 1848
- Orphans -- New Mexico
- Sanitation districts -- New Mexico
- Schools -- New Mexico
- Soil conservation districts -- New Mexico
- Special districts -- New Mexico
- State government records
- Taxation -- New Mexico
- Territorial records
- Inventory of the New Mexico State Auditor Records, 1846-[ongoing]
- Edited Full Draft
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is in English
- June 28, 2004: PUBLIC "-//New Mexico State Records Center and Archives//TEXT (US::Nm-Ar::1960-030::New Mexico State Auditor Records)//EN" "nmar1960-030.sgml" converted from EAD 1.0 to 2002 by v1to02.xsl (sy2003-10-15).
- Monday, 20210524: Attribute normal is missing or blank.