Napoleon B. Laughlin Papers,
Scope and Content
Collection consists of case files and a variety of documents such as wills, deeds, and estate records from legal cases handled by Laughlin. Series I includes materials on homestead claims and businesses such as the Globe Land Co. and the La Fonda Hotel. Series II includes materials on acequias and water rights, banks (including the First National Bank of Santa Fe and the Santa Fe Bank), mining companies (including the Rio Arriba Coal Co.), and the Denver and Rio Grande Railroad Co. Series III includes documents from the trial of Elfego Baca for the murder of William B. Hearne. Series IV includes Laughlin's correspondence (1882-1915) and testimony from witnesses of the 1892 fire at the New Mexico Capitol Building. Series V consists of documents from four cases involving Thomas B. Catron (1895-1901). Series VI consists of documents from cases involving A.R. Manby as an attorney (1897-1911). Series VII, VIII, IX, and X consist of documents concerning many New Mexico land grants, including the Las Trampas, Caja del Rio, Piedra Lumbre, Cieneguilla, Truchas, Antonio Martinez, Arroyo Hondo, Rancho del Rio Grande, La Joya de Cevilleta, and Tome land grants. Series XI includes Laughlin's notarial record book (1902-1920) and several ledger books recording client fees (1884-1908).
Some materials are in Spanish.
Some materials are in Spanish.
Language of Materials
English, and Spanish.
Limited duplication allowed for research purposes. User is responsible for all copyright compliance.
Napoleon B. Laughlin was an attorney and judge in Santa Fe, New Mexico in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.
12 Linear Feet
Collection is organized into eleven series:
- I. Miscellaneous Legal Papers
- II. Civil District Court Cases
- III. Criminal District Court Cases
- IV. Personal and Miscellaneous Papers
- V. Cases Involving Thomas B. Catron
- VI. Cases Involving A.R. Manby
- VII. Rio Arriba and Santa Fe County Land Grants
- VIII. Taos County Land Grants
- IX. Rancho del Rio Grande Land Grant
- X. Land Grants (General)
- XI. Ledgers
- New Mexico State Records Center and Archives
- Archives and Historical Services Division
- 1205 Camino Carlos Rey
- Santa Fe, New Mexico 87505
- Phone: 505-476-7908
- Fax: 505-476-7909
- Email: email@example.com
- URL: http://www.state.nm.us/cpr/ahsd_top.htm
- Account books
- Antonio Martinez Land Grant (N.M.)
- Arroyo Hondo Land Grant (N.M.)
- Banks and banking -- New Mexico
- Caja del Rio Land Grant (N.M.)
- Catron, Thomas Benton, 1840-1921
- Cieneguilla Land Grant (N.M.)
- Ditches -- New Mexico
- Estate records
- First National Bank of Santa Fe
- Homestead law -- New Mexico
- Irrigation canals and flumes -- New Mexico
- La Fonda (Hotel : Santa Fe, N.M.)
- Land grants -- New Mexico
- Las Trampas Land Grant (N.M.)
- Lawyers -- New Mexico
- Legal files
- Mining corporations -- New Mexico
- Notarial documents
- Piedra Lumbre Land Grant (N.M.)
- Rancho del Rio Grande Land Grant (N.M.)
- Tome Land Grant (N.M.)
- Trials -- New Mexico
- Truchas Land Grant (N.M.)
- Water rights -- New Mexico
- Inventory of the Napoleon B. Laughlin Papers, 1740-1933
- Edited Full Draft
- Processed by Staff
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is in English
- June 28, 2004: PUBLIC "-//New Mexico State Records Center and Archives//TEXT (US::Nm-Ar::1959-134::Napoleon B. Laughlin Papers)//EN" "nmar1959-134.sgml" converted from EAD 1.0 to 2002 by v1to02.xsl (sy2003-10-15).
- Monday, 20210524: Attribute normal is missing or blank.