Governor William J. Mills Papers,
Scope and Content
Collection consists of official papers of Governor Mills. Correspondence contains letters received and letterbooks of communications sent. Official papers include appointments, proclamations and orders. Reports to the governor contain those of territorial officers as well as of the Historical Society of New Mexico, St. Vincent Hospital and Orphanage, the Sisters of Loretto, and some local relief societies. Special reports contain files on the activation of the National Guard to Taos (1910), the mutiny at New Mexico Military Institute, and complaints by and against various territorial officials. Penal papers include pardons, commutations, paroles, extraditions, and reform school petitions.
Language of Materials
Access to original materials restricted; Use microfilm only (Territorial Archives of New Mexico)
Limited duplication allowed for research purposes. User is responsible for all copyright compliance.
Mills, a Connecticut lawyer, became New Mexico's last territorial governor after serving as Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of New Mexico, 1898-1910. He called for the constitutional convention that framed the document adopted and approved in 1911. Although Mills was appointed governor in December, 1909, he was not inaugurated until March, 1910. His term ended January 15, 1912.
5 Linear Feet
Organized into six series:
- I. Correspondence
- II. Official papers
- III. Reports to Governor
- IV. Report of Governor to Secretary of Interior
- V. Special Reports
- VI. Penal papers
Available on microfilm as part of the Territorial Archives of New Mexico (Rolls 181-188).
- New Mexico State Records Center and Archives
- Archives and Historical Services Division
- 1205 Camino Carlos Rey
- Santa Fe, New Mexico 87505
- Phone: 505-476-7908
- Fax: 505-476-7909
- Email: email@example.com
- URL: http://www.state.nm.us/cpr/ahsd_top.htm
Mills was appointed governor December 20, 1909, but was not inaugurated until March 1, 1910 succeeding Curry who had resigned effective February 28.
- Administrative agencies -- New Mexico
- Annual reports
- Extradition -- New Mexico
- Governors --New Mexico
- Historical Society of New Mexico
- Letterpress copybooks
- New Mexico -- History
- New Mexico -- Officials and employees
- New Mexico Military Institute
- Pardon --New Mexico
- Territorial records
- Inventory of the Governor William J. Mills Papers, 1910-1912
- Edited Full Draft
- Processed by staff
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is in English
- June 28, 2004: PUBLIC "-//New Mexico State Records Center and Archives//TEXT (US::Nm-Ar::1959-093::Governor William J. Mills Papers)//EN" "nmar1959-093.sgml" converted from EAD 1.0 to 2002 by v1to02.xsl (sy2003-10-15).
- Monday, 20210524: Attribute normal is missing or blank.