Governor George Curry Papers,
Scope and Content
Collection consists of official papers of Governor Curry. Includes letters sent and received, appointments, resignations and removals, proclamations, letterpress books, reports, and penal papers. Some materials relate to Curry's unsuccessful attempt to secure the return of Spanish archives of New Mexico that were transferred to the Library of Congress in 1903. Collection also includes official correspondence of J.W. Raynolds, who served as Interim Governor from April to August 1907, the period between Curry's appointment and his inauguration.
- New Mexico. Governor (1907-1911 : Curry) (Organization)
Language of Materials
Access to original materials restricted; Use microfilm only (Territorial Archives of New Mexico).
Limited duplication allowed for research purposes. User is responsible for all copyright compliance.
Curry, a Republican, was appointed Governor by President Theodore Roosevelt in 1907, and resigned in 1910. He was later elected as New Mexico's first congressional representative under Statehood in 1912.
6.5 Linear Feet
Organized into nine series:
- I. Letters received
- II. Letters sent
- III. Appointments
- IV. Resignations and removals
- V. Proclamations
- VI. Reports to the Governor
- VII. Message to the legislature
- VIII. Special issues, reports and investigations
- IX. Penal papers
Available on microfilm as part of the Territorial Archives of New Mexico (Rolls 164-180).
- New Mexico State Records Center and Archives
- Archives and Historical Services Division
- 1205 Camino Carlos Rey
- Santa Fe, New Mexico 87505
- Phone: 505-476-7908
- Fax: 505-476-7909
- Email: email@example.com
- URL: http://www.state.nm.us/cpr/ahsd_top.htm
Curry was appointed governor April 1, 1907, but did not assume his duties until August 8. Herbert J. Hagerman officially turned over the office to Secretary of the Territory J. W. Raynolds on May 3, who acted as governor until Curry was inaugurated. Correspondence during this administration includes letters received and letters sent by Raynolds during the interim period.
- Administrative agencies -- New Mexico
- Annual reports
- Archives --New Mexico
- Curry, George, 1861-1947
- Extradition -- New Mexico
- Governors --New Mexico
- Letterpress copybooks
- New Mexico -- Officials and employees
- New Mexico -- Politics and government -- 1848-1950
- Pardon --New Mexico
- Territorial records
- Inventory of the Governor George Curry Papers, 1907-1910
- Edited Full Draft
- Processed by staff
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is in English
- June 28, 2004: PUBLIC "-//New Mexico State Records Center and Archives//TEXT (US::Nm-Ar::1959-092::Governor George Curry Papers)//EN" "nmar1959-092.sgml" converted from EAD 1.0 to 2002 by v1to02.xsl (sy2003-10-15).
- Monday, 20210524: Attribute normal is missing or blank.