Governor Herbert J. Hagerman Papers,
Scope and Content
Collection consists of official papers of Governor Hagerman. Includes letters sent and received, appointments, resignations and removals, a letterpress book, proclamations, reports, and penal papers. Some of the materials relate to issues such as public lands, the Las Vegas Reclamation Project, and the El Paso and Southwestern Railroad. Also within the collection are materials concerning charges against Quay County District Attorney M.C. Mechem and Socorro County District Attorney Elfego Baca, and the removal from office of Leandro Baca as Socorro County Sheriff and S.R. Hendrin and Pablo Medina as Quay County Commissioners.
Language of Materials
Access to original materials restricted; Use microfilm only (Territorial Archives of New Mexico).
Limited duplication allowed for research purposes. User is responsible for all copyright compliance.
Hagerman, a Republican, was appointed Governor by President Theodore Roosevelt in 1906 and resigned in 1907. After serving as Governor, Hagerman became an Indian Commissioner with the Federal Government.
5 Linear Feet
Organized into ten series:
- I. Letters received
- II. Letters sent
- III. Appointments
- IV. Resignations and removals
- V. Proclamations
- VI. Reports to the Governor
- VII. Report of the Governor to the U.S. Secretary of the Interior
- VIII. Message to the legislative assembly
- IX. Special issues
- X. Penal papers
Available on microfilm as part of the Territorial Archives of New Mexico (Rolls 156-163).
- New Mexico State Records Center and Archives
- Archives and Historical Services Division
- 1205 Camino Carlos Rey
- Santa Fe, New Mexico 87505
- Phone: 505-476-7908
- Fax: 505-476-7909
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- URL: http://www.state.nm.us/cpr/ahsd_top.htm
President Theodore Roosevelt appointed Herbert J. Hagerman to replace Otero as governor November 24, 1905. He was inaugurated January 22, 1906. Some letters addressed to him as governor previous to his inauguration are included.
- Administrative agencies -- New Mexico
- Annual reports
- Baca, Elfego, 1864-1945
- El Paso and Southwestern Railroad Company
- Extradition -- New Mexico
- Governors --New Mexico
- Hagerman, Herbert J. (Herbert James), 1871-1935
- Letterpress copybooks
- New Mexico -- Officials and employees
- New Mexico -- Politics and government -- 1848-1950
- Pardon --New Mexico
- Public lands --New Mexico
- Territorial records
- Water resources development -- New Mexico
- Inventory of the Governor Herbert J. Hagerman Papers, 1906-1907
- Edited Full Draft
- Processed by staff
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is in English
- June 28, 2004: PUBLIC "-//New Mexico State Records Center and Archives//TEXT (US::Nm-Ar::1959-091::Governor Herbert J. Hagerman Papers)//EN" "nmar1959-091.sgml" converted from EAD 1.0 to 2002 by v1to02.xsl (sy2003-10-15).
- Monday, 20210524: Attribute normal is missing or blank.