Governor Miguel A. Otero Papers,
Scope and Content
Collection consists of the official papers of Governor Otero. Correspondence includes several letterbooks of communications (1899- 1906). Messages to the New Mexico Legislative Assembly include the biannual reports of officials, agencies, boards, commissions, and institutions to the governor. Two of Otero's legislative messages have been published (1899, 1901). Special issues and investigations include documentation on the Thurston bill concerning territorial debt, the investigation of the murder of Judge Albert J. Fountain, the Kutz Mine explosion investigation in Lumberton, the transfer of Fort Marcy Military Reservation from the federal government to the City of Santa Fe, the removal of L. Bradford Prince from the Board of Regents of the College of Agriculture and Mechanical Arts, and several investigations and complaints made against various elected officials. Penal papers consist of pardons, commutations, and extraditions to and from New Mexico. Several New Mexico persons are represented in this collection.
Language of Materials
Access to original materials restricted; Use microfilm only (Territorial Archives of New Mexico).
Limited duplication allowed for research purposes. User is responsible for all copyright compliance.
Miguel A. Otero was born in St. Louis, Missouri. His family re-located to Las Vegas, New Mexico. He served as Governor of the Territory of New Mexico, 1897-1906.
10 Linear Feet
Organized into ten series:
- I. Letters received
- II. Letters sent
- III. Letterbooks
- IV. Appointments
- V. Resignations and removals
- VI. Proclamations and executive orders
- VII. Reports to the governor
- VIII. Reports of the governor to the Secretary of the Interior and the Legislative Assembly
- IX. Special issues
- X. Penal papers
Available on microfilm as part of the Territorial Archives of New Mexico (Roll 128).
- New Mexico State Records Center and Archives
- Archives and Historical Services Division
- 1205 Camino Carlos Rey
- Santa Fe, New Mexico 87505
- Phone: 505-476-7908
- Fax: 505-476-7909
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- URL: http://www.state.nm.us/cpr/ahsd_top.htm
Otero was appointed Governor of New Mexico on June 2, 1897 and was inaugurated July 14. He held office longer than any other governor of the Territory.
- Administrative agencies -- New Mexico
- Annual reports
- Clancy, Frank W. (Frank Willey), 1852-1928
- Debt --New Mexico
- Extradition -- New Mexico
- Fort Marcy (N.M.) -- History
- Governors --New Mexico
- Mine explosions --New Mexico--Lumberton
- Murder --New Mexico
- New Mexico -- Officials and employees
- New Mexico -- Politics and government -- 1848-1950
- Pardon --New Mexico
- Prince, L. Bradford (Le Baron Bradford), 1840-1922
- Territorial records
- Inventory of the Governor Miguel A. Otero Papers, 1897-1906
- Edited Full Draft
- Processed by staff
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is in English
- June 28, 2004: PUBLIC "-//New Mexico State Records Center and Archives//TEXT (US::Nm-Ar::1959-090::Governor Miguel A. Otero Papers)//EN" "nmar1959-090.sgml" converted from EAD 1.0 to 2002 by v1to02.xsl (sy2003-10-15).
- Monday, 20210524: Attribute normal is missing or blank.