Governor Edmund Ross Papers,
Scope and Content
Collection consists of official and personal papers of Governor Ross. Includes letters sent and received, a letterpress book, appointments, proclamations and circulars, legislative papers, reports to the Governor, reports from the Governor to the U.S. Secretary of the Interior, expense reports, and penal papers. Materials relating to public lands in New Mexico, taxation of Pueblo Indian lands, conflicts between cattle and sheep interests in Rio Arriba County, construction of a new state capitol, and other issues are also part of the collection.
Language of Materials
Access to original materials restricted; Use microfilm only (Territorial Archives of New Mexico).
Limited duplication allowed for research purposes. User is responsible for all copyright compliance.
Ross, a democrat, was appointed Governor by President Grover Cleveland in 1885. Before coming to New Mexico, he was a U.S. senator for Kansas who cast the deciding vote against the impeachment of President Andrew Johnson.
8 Linear Feet
Organized into ten series:
- I. Letters received
- II. Letters sent
- III. Appointments
- IV. Proclamations and circulars
- V. Legislative papers
- VI. Reports of the Governor to the U.S. Secretary of the Interior
- VII. Contingent expenses
- VIII. Reports to the Governor
- IX. Special issues
- X. Penal papers
Available on microfilm as part of the Terriotrial Archives of New Mexico (Rolls 101-102).
- New Mexico State Records Center and Archives
- Archives and Historical Services Division
- 1205 Camino Carlos Rey
- Santa Fe, New Mexico 87505
- Phone: 505-476-7908
- Fax: 505-476-7909
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- URL: http://www.state.nm.us/cpr/ahsd_top.htm
- Administrative agencies -- New Mexico
- Annual reports
- Extradition -- New Mexico
- Governors --New Mexico
- Letterpress copybooks
- New Mexico -- Officials and employees
- New Mexico -- Politics and government -- 1848-1950
- New Mexico --Capital and capitol
- Pardon --New Mexico
- Public lands --New Mexico
- Pueblo Indians --Taxation--New Mexico
- Ranching --New Mexico--Rio Arriba County
- Territorial records
- Inventory of the Governor Edmund Ross Papers, 1885-1889
- Edited Full Draft
- Processed by staff
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is in English
- June 28, 2004: PUBLIC "-//New Mexico State Records Center and Archives//TEXT (US::Nm-Ar::1959-087::Governor Edmund Ross Papers)//EN" "nmar1959-087.sgml" converted from EAD 1.0 to 2002 by v1to02.xsl (sy2003-10-15).
- Monday, 20210524: Attribute normal is missing or blank.