Jennie M. Avery Papers,
Scope and Content
Collection consists of records of the Avery-Bowman Co. of Santa Fe, New Mexico, and the personal papers of Jennie M. Avery and Grace Bowman. Avery-Bowman Co. records include records of its predecessors the Santa Fe Abstract, Realty and Insurance Agency and the Joseph B. Hayward Agency. These records include land conveyances, deeds, titles, surveys, appraisals, abstracts, and various legal documents, most of which involve property in the vicinity of Santa Fe. The personal papers of Grace Bowman and Jennie Avery reflect their respective interests in Santa Fe social, service, and professional organizations, and their close association with people such as Edgar Lee Hewett, Elizabeth Garrett, Tsianina Blackstone, and Bronson Cutting. Some files in the collection relate to the estates of Hewett, Cora Kellman, Mary Prince, and Rose Wilson; real estate transactions of Samuel B. Axtell; land claims of Santa Clara Pueblo; and land conveyances in the area of Chimayo, New Mexico.
Some materials are in Spanish.
Some materials are in Spanish.
- Avery, Jennie M., -1976 (Person)
Language of Materials
English, and Spanish.
Limited duplication allowed for research purposes. User is responsible for all copyright compliance.
Jennie M. Avery (d. 1976) and Grace Bowman (d. 1951) formed a partnership in January 1918 and purchased the Joseph B. Hayward Agency (formerly the Santa Fe Abstract, Realty and Insurance Agency) from Joseph B. Hayward. In 1925 the agency's name was changed to the Avery-Bowman Company.
9 Linear Feet
Collection is organized into six series:
- I. Avery-Bowman Co. records
- II. Joseph B. Hayward Agency records
- III. Abstracts
- IV. Miscellaneous real estate matters
- V. Personal papers
- VI. Miscellaneous matters and publications
Photographs and maps received with the collection are housed and cataloged separately.
- New Mexico State Records Center and Archives
- Archives and Historical Services Division
- 1205 Camino Carlos Rey
- Santa Fe, New Mexico 87505
- Phone: 505-476-7908
- Fax: 505-476-7909
- Email: email@example.com
- URL: http://www.state.nm.us/cpr/ahsd_top.htm
- Appraisals (financial records)
- Avery, Jennie M., -1976
- Cutting, Bronson M., 1888-1935
- Estate records
- Garrett, Elizabeth, 1885?-1947
- Hewett, Edgar L. (Edgar Lee), 1865-1946
- Land surveys
- Land tenure -- New Mexico -- Santa Clara Pueblo
- Land titles -- Registration and transfer -- New Mexico
- Land titles -- Registration and transfer -- New Mexico -- Chimayo
- Land titles -- Registration and transfer -- New Mexico -- Santa Fe
- Notarial documents
- Real estate agents -- New Mexico -- Santa Fe
- Real property -- New Mexico
- Real property -- New Mexico -- Santa Fe
- Santa Fe (N.M.) -- Commerce
- Inventory of the Jennie M. Avery Papers, 1836-1950
- Edited Full Draft
- Processed by Staff
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is in English
- June 28, 2004: PUBLIC "-//New Mexico State Records Center and Archives//TEXT (US::Nm-Ar::1959-013::Jennie M. Avery Papers)//EN" "nmar1959-013.sgml" converted from EAD 1.0 to 2002 by v1to02.xsl (sy2003-10-15).
- Monday, 20210524: Attribute normal is missing or blank.