My Adventures in Zuni: Typescript
Identifier: AC 055-P
Scope and Content
Typescript copy of My Adventure in Zuni was written by Frank H. Cushing.
- Cushing, Frank Hamilton, 1857-1900 (Person)
Language of Materials
Duplication allowed for research purposes. User responsible for all copyright compliance.
Frank Hamilton Cushing was an ethnographer and early participant observer to the Pueblo of Zuni, where he lived from 1879-1884. He was adopted into the Zuni tribe. During the late 1880's he interested wealthy socialite Mary Hemenway into funding an archaeological expedition to find the origins of the Zuni people. The project began in 1887 with the excavation at Los Muertos, AZ and then moved to the Zuni Reservation. Cushing became ill and was removed from the Project in 1889. He continued to work for the Bureau of American Ethnology during this time and until his death in 1900. He also worked on the Pepper-Hearst Archaeological Expedition to Florida (1891-1896) where they excavated the Key Marcos site.
The provenance of this material is unclear. It is believed that Dr. F.W. Hodge arranged to obtain most of the Cushing material from the Cushing estate which was in the hands of Stewart Culin of the Brooklyn Museum. Dr. Hodge was Cushing's secretary on several expeditions and his brother-in-law.
- Fray Angélico Chávez History Library
- The Palace of the Governors
- P.O. Box 2087
- Santa Fe, New Mexico 87504-2087, U.S.A.
- Phone: (+)505.476.5090
- Fax: (+)505.476.5093
- Email: email@example.com
- URL: www.palaceofthegovernors.org
- Arizona -- Antiquities
- Ethnologists -- New Mexico -- Zuni Pueblo
- Indian dance -- Southwest, New
- Indians of North America -- Florida
- Indians of North America -- Florida -- Antiquities
- Indians of North America -- Southwest, New -- Antiquities
- Zuni Indians -- Social life and customs
- Zuni language
- Guide to the My Adventures in Zuni: Typescript, 18--
- Edited Full Draft
- Processed by Library Staff
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is in English
- June 28, 2004: PUBLIC "-//Museum of New Mexico::Fray Angelico Chavez History Library//TEXT (US::NmSM::AC 055-P::My Adventures in Zuni: Typescript)//EN" "nmsm1ac055-p.sgml" converted from EAD 1.0 to 2002 by v1to02.xsl (sy2003-10-15).
- Monday, 20210524: Attribute normal is missing or blank.