Fort Marcy, New Mexico Collection
Identifier: AC 468
Scope and Content
Collection consists of photocopies of documents from the U.S. National Archives in Washington D.C. concerning Fort Marcy, Santa Fe, New Mexico, 1862-1889, and a copy of a document (1964) compiled by Bruce T. Ellis about the Hewett House property, Santa Fe, New Mexico, which had been part of the Fort. Fort Marcy documents comprise the bulk of the collection and include reports, requisitions, and correspondence from the Office of the Quartermaster, concerning the construction and repair of the fort's barracks and quarters (1862-1881); and, a narrative history of the Fort, 1889.
- 1862 - 1964
- Majority of material found in Placeholder Unit Date Text
The collection is open for research.
Limited duplication of print materials allowed for research purposes. User is responsible for all copyright compliance.
Fort Marcy was built in 1846 on a hill overlooking Santa Fe, New Mexico, following the conquest of the territory in the Mexican War by the United States Army under General Stephen W. Kearny. The fort was named for William L. Marcy, Secretary of War under U.S. President Polk. Built in an irregular star shape, it was an earthwork structure and blockhouse. The Fort served as one of the main supply points for cavalry, dragoon and infantry patrols, and as a stopping place for state militia and volunteers. The barracks, corrals and other facilities were next to the Palace of the Governors on the Santa Fe Plaza. Fort Marcy was deactivated in 1867, and then reactivated in a different location in 1875. It remained active until 1891, and was abandoned in 1894.
0.20 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
- Finding Aid of the Fort Marcy (N.M.) Collection, 1862 - 1964
- Edited Full Draft
- © 2009
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is in English
- Monday, 20210524: Attribute normal is missing or blank.