Laguna Mission Press Collection
Identifier: AC 448-p
Scope and Content
The collection consists of five items: Psalm I, Psalm XXIII (one in English and Laguna, and one in Laguna only), The Seven sacraments (published by St. Michaels Press in English and Navajo), and a pamphlet prepared by Louis A. Hieb on bilingual publications of the Southwest. Of the pieces in this collection only one, Psalm XXIII, can be specifically indentified with the W. Semple press.
Language of Materials
English Keres Navajo
The collection is open for research.
Limited duplication of print materials allowed for research purposes. User is responsible for all copyright compliance.
Dr. John Menaul, a Presbyterian missionary, was sent to Laguna Pueblo, New Mexico, in 1876. An eastern doner, known as "W. Semple", provided a printing press. In the summer of 1877, the pueblo mission became the first mission press in New Mexico. Menaul produced pamphlets, reports, and teaching tools in English and Keres, the language spoken at Laguna.
- Fray Angélico Chávez History Library
- P.O. Box 2087
- The Palace of the Governors
- Santa Fe, NM 87504-2087
- Phone: 505:476-5090
- Fax: 505-476-5104
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- URL: http://www.palaceofthegovernors.org
- Inventory of the Laguna MissionPress Collection, 1877-1995
- Processed by K Robens
- © 2008
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is inEnglish
- Monday, 20210524: Attribute normal is missing or blank.