Kearny (Stephen Watts) Family Collection
Identifier: AC 404
Scope and Content
Collecton consists of material from the descendants of Stephen Watts Kearny, including newspaper clippings, handwritten notes on the Kearny family genealogy, letters, and legal documents.
Language of Materials
The collection is open for research.
Limited duplication of print materials allowed for research purposes. User is responsible for all copyright compliance.
Stephen Watts Kearny was born in Newark, New Jersey, in 1794 into a family whose ancestors came primarily from Ireland. Kearny joined the New York Militia. He served as a soldier for thirty-six years, many of those in the plains, the mountains and the frontier West. He was married to Mary Radford Kearny with whom he had several children. At the outbreak of the Mexican War, Kearny led an expeditionary force to occupy New Mexico and California. He arrived in New Mexico on August 19, 1846, and was named military governor with headquarters in Santa Fe. After spending a little more than a month in Santa Fe, Kearny continued on to California and Mexico. Kearny died in October 1848 in St. Louis, MO.
0.2 Linear Feet
Transferred to Rare Book Collection:
- The Book of Common Prayer. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1868. Signature of Clarence Kearny on frontispiece. (264.1 Chu MS)
- Holy Bible. London: Eyre and Spottiswoode, . (220.5203 Eyr 1866 MS)
- Hymnal [Protestant Episcopal Church]. New York: E. and J.B. Young and Co, 1886. "Henry Kearny" embossed on front cover - given to Henry Kearny by his aunt Nellie, Christmas 1887. (264.2 Pro MS)
- The Order of Daily Evening Prayer. New York: E. and J.B. Young and Co, 1886. "Henry Kearny" embossed on front cover - given to Henry Kearny by his aunt Nellie, Christmas 1887. (264.03 Epi MS)
- Fray Angelico Chavez History Library
- P.O. Box 2087
- The Palace of the Governors
- Santa Fe, NM 87504-2087
- Phone: (505) 476-5090
- Email: email@example.com
- URL: http://www.palaceofthegovernors.org
Material was retrieved from Stephen Watts Kearny's field desk. Desk is in the collections of the Palace of the Governors.
- Inventory of the Kearny (Stephen Watts) Family Collection, 1848-1922
- Processed by tj
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is in English[OCLC 64431768]
- Monday, 20210524: Attribute normal is missing or blank.