United Press International : Santa Fe Office Collection
Identifier: AC 381
Scope and Content
Collection contains materials from the United Press International, Santa Fe, New Mexico office and consists of the supporting documents for articles on a variety of New Mexico topics - political, social, scientific, and historical written for UPI. Folders are in alphabetical order by primary subjects then subcategories. In the subject files are press releases, reports, government publications, correspondence, newspaper clippings, and tear sheets.
Language of Materials
Duplication allowed for research purposes. User responsible for all copyright compliance.
E. W. Scripps started the United Press Association in 1907, by combining three regional news services. Under General Manager Roy Howard, the UP became the first North American news agency to serve newspapers around the globe. It established European bureaus. It merged with International News Services (founded by Randolph Hearst) to become UPI in 1958. UPI struggled through revolving ownerships and bankruptcies durng the 1980s and 1990s. Today UPI distributes news to media outlets, businesses, governments, and researchers. They are headquartered in Washington, D.C. The following are "firsts" accomplished by UPI:
- 1932 -- Emphasizes the "byline" story
- 1935 -- First news service for radio
- 1945 -- First all-sports wire
- 1952 -- International TV news film service launched
- 1973 -- UPI Cable Newswire launched
- 1981 -- First satellite data transmission by any news agency
- 1984 -- First customized news selection services for broadcasters and newspapers
- 1990s-- First news wire on BBS systems and World Wide Web
- 2001 -- Deploys multi-lingual "virtual newsroom" independent of physical location
- 2002 -- First multi-lingual news industry taxonomy
18 Linear Feet
- Angélico Chávez History Library
- The Palace of the Governors
- P.O. Box 2087
- Santa Fe, New Mexico 87504-2087, U.S.A.
- Phone: (+)505.476.5090
- Fax: (+)505.476.5053
- Email: email@example.com
- URL: www.palaceofthegovernors.org
- Guide to the United Press International : Santa Fe Office Collection, 1947-1990
- Edited Full Draft
- Processed by Library Staff
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is in English
- June 28, 2004: PUBLIC "-//Museum of New Mexico::Angelico Chavez History Library//TEXT (US::NmSM::AC 381::United Press International : Santa Fe office collection)//EN" "nmsm1ac381.sgml" converted from EAD 1.0 to 2002 by v1to02.xsl (sy2003-10-15).
- Monday, 20210524: Attribute normal is missing or blank.