Ernest L. Blumenschein Collection,
Identifier: AC 354
Scope and Content
Collection consists of the personal papers of Ernest L. Blumenschein, including Blumenschein's correspondence; articles and clippings about him and his work, and biographical and genealogical information. Collection also contains copies of his letters to Ellis Butler Parker. Some of the material is contained in Blumenschein's scrapbooks. Additionally, collection holds financial and tax records, and ephemeral material such as driver's licences and passports. Inventory was produced at item level with individual annotations and synopses.
Language of Materials
Duplication allowed for research purposes. User responsible for all copyright compliance. Note: Duplication of material is currently restricted and requires the approval of Blumenschein Catalgoue RaisonnÃ© Limited Co.'s representative. Restriction will expire December 2004.
Ernest L. Blumenschein was born 1874 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, and raised in Dayton, Ohio. Initially influenced by his father's profession as a muscician and composer, Blumenschein developed early on an artistic talent. While attending the Cincinatti Art Academy, he decided to pursue a career in art and trained at the Art Students League in New York and the AcadÃ©mie Julian in Paris, France. Until Blumenschein established himself as an artist, he worked as a commercial illustrator, and for many years split his time betwen Europe, East Coast (U.S.), and Taos, New Mexico. Eventually in 1918, Blumenschein and his wife Mary Greene Blumenschein, also a highly successful artist, settled permanently in Taos where he was prolific in his art work. He and his wife had one daughter, Helen. Mary Blumenschein died in 1950, and Ernest Blumenschein died ten years later in 1960. Blumenschein, one of the original founders of the Taos Society of Artists, received numerous awards and honors for his artistic work and his paintings are included in many important collections.
3.25 Linear Feet
- Fray AngÃ©lico ChÃ¡vez History Library
- The Palace of the Governors
- P.O. Box 2087
- Santa Fe, New Mexico 87504-2087, U.S.A.
- Phone: (+)505.476.5090
- Fax: (+)505.476.5093
- Email: email@example.com
- URL: www.palaceofthegovernors.org
- Guide to the Ernest L. Blumenschein Collection, 1891-1993
- Edited Full Draft
- Processed by Library Staff
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is in English
- June 28, 2004: PUBLIC "-//Museum of New Mexico::Fray Angelico Chavez History Library//TEXT (US::NmSM::AC 354::Ernest L. Blumenschein Collection)//EN" "nmsm1ac354.sgml" converted from EAD 1.0 to 2002 by v1to02.xsl (sy2003-10-15).
- Monday, 20210524: Attribute normal is missing or blank.