Arthur Rochford Manby Papers
Identifier: AC 325
Scope and Content
Collection consists of legal papers and correspondence to and from and about Arthur Rochford Manby and the companies in which he had financial interests, specifically the Taos Valley Land Comapny, the Mutual Trust Company, and the Colonial Bond and Security Company. The collection contains papers dealing with water and mining rights in New Mexico and other interests. There are also tax receipts and land documents pertaining to his properties and various newspaper clippings. In addition, there is a Spanish document awarding the Antonio Martinez land grant of 1716 with a description of the property (translated typed copy).
Language of Materials
English, and Spanish.
Duplication allowed for research purposes. User responsible for all copyright compliance.
Arthur Rochford Manby was born in England and migrated to the United States and to the Territory of New Mexico in the early 1880s. He began ranching and mining with his two brothers, Jocelyn and Alfred, in northern New Mexico and they built their ranch at Castle Rock, later to be determined that it was on the Maxwell Land Grant. He established several land companies, including the Taos Land Company and the Colonial Bond and Security Company, both in New Mexico. His interests were in land speculation, mining, and controlling water rights in the Taos area. He obtained the Antonio Martinez land grant in 1913. He died 4 July 1923, a victim of murder.
2.5 Linear Feet
Photographs are housed and cataloged separately.
- Fray Angélico Chávez History Library
- The Palace of the Governors
- P.O. Box 2087
- Santa Fe, New Mexico 87504-2087, U.S.A.
- Phone: (+)505.476.5090
- Fax: (+)505.476.5093
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- URL: www.palaceofthegovernors.org
- Guide to the Arthur Rochford Manby Papers, 1716-1935
- Edited Full Draft
- Processed by Library Staff
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is in English
- June 28, 2004: PUBLIC "-//Museum of New Mexico::Fray Angelico Chavez History Library//TEXT (US::NmSM::AC 325::Arthur Rochford Manby Papers)//EN" "nmsm1ac325.sgml" converted from EAD 1.0 to 2002 by v1to02.xsl (sy2003-10-15).
- Monday, 20210524: Attribute normal is missing or blank.