Biography of Padre Antonio José Martinez
Identifier: AC 311-p
Scope and Content
Collection consists of a typed, translated copy of the manuscript of the biography of Padre Antonio Jose Martinez. The original biography was written by Santiago Valdez in 1877, a decade after the death of Padre Martinez. It was translated into English in about 1881 by Benjamin G. Read. This new translation was done in 1993 by Rev. Juan Romero.
Language of Materials
Duplication allowed for research purposes. User responsible for all copyright compliance.
Padre Antonio Jose Martinez was Cura/Pastor of the Taos Parish in New Mexico. He was born in Abiquiu, New Mexico, 17 January 1793. He married at the age of 19 and his wife died one year later in childbirth. In 1817, he entered the seminary and was ordained in 1822. In 1842 he was appointed priest at the Taos parish. Padre Martinez was a member of the Territorial Departmental Assembly of New Mexico beginning in 1830. His last service was in 1846.
- Fray Angélico Chávez History Library
- The Palace of the Governors
- P.O. Box 2087
- Santa Fe, New Mexico 87504-2087, U.S.A.
- Phone: (+)505.476.5090
- Fax: (+)505.476.5093
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- URL: www.palaceofthegovernors.org
- Guide to the Biography of Padre Antonio José Martinez, 1993
- Edited Full Draft
- Processed by Library Staff
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is in English
- June 28, 2004: PUBLIC "-//Museum of New Mexico::Fray Angelico Chavez History Library//TEXT (US::NmSM::AC 311-p::Biography of Padre Antonio José Martinez)//EN" "nmsm1ac311-p.sgml" converted from EAD 1.0 to 2002 by v1to02.xsl (sy2003-10-15).
- Monday, 20210524: Attribute normal is missing or blank.