Edward W. Wynkoop Collection
Identifier: AC 247
Scope and Content
Collection consists of materials by and about Wynkoop. Includes a scrapbook of newspaper clippings collected by Wynkoop from 1859 to 1891, certificates and letters received by Wynkoop from 1861 to 1883, and a photocopy and typescript of Wynkoop's memoirs. Much of the materials in this collection relate to the Civil War in the West, the Sand Creek Massacre of Indians in Colorado, and John Chivington, a rival of Wynkoop who was also the leader of the American forces responsible for the Sand Creek Massacre.
- 1859-1987 (bulk, 1859-1891)
Language of Materials
The Wynkoop Scrapbook is RESTRICTED due to its fragile condition.
Duplication allowed for research purposes. User responsible for all copyright compliance. Scrapbook may not be photocopied due to fragile condition.
E.W. Wynkoop was an easterner who came West to make his mark on history and succeeded. He held a series of offices in the West for the Federal Government and the territorial governments of Colorado and New Mexico. During the course of his life in the West, Wynkoop became somewhat an authority on Indians. After arriving in the Territory of New Mexico, Wynkoop was recommended for various positions by his frontier friends. Captain Jack Crawford, the Poet-Scout, even wrote a poetic testimonial to Wynkoop in a letter to the Territorial Governor whom Crawford urged to appoint Wynkoop Superintendent of the Territorial Prison.
.5 Linear Feet
Originals of Wynkoop's journal at the Colorado Historical Society, Denver, Colorado
- Fray AngÃ©lico ChÃ¡vez History Library
- The Palace of the Governors
- P.O. Box 2087
- Santa Fe, New Mexico 87504-2087, U.S.A.
- Phone: (+)505.476.5090
- Fax: (+)505.476.5093
- Email: email@example.com
- URL: www.palaceofthegovernors.org
- Guide to the Edward W. Wynkoop Collection, 1859-1987 (bulk 1859-1891)
- Edited Full Draft
- Processed by Library Staff
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is in English
- June 28, 2004: PUBLIC "-//Museum of New Mexico::Fray Angelico Chavez History Library//TEXT (US::NmSM::AC 247::Edward W. Wynkoop Collection)//EN" "nmsm1ac247.sgml" converted from EAD 1.0 to 2002 by v1to02.xsl (sy2003-10-15).
- Monday, 20210524: Attribute normal is missing or blank.