Taos Society of Artists Collection
Identifier: AC 219
Scope and Content
Collection consists of materials relating to the Taos Society of Artists and its members. Includes the constitution, by-laws, minutes, and reports of the Society; promotional materials and programs from various art exhibits; and materials concerning the Museum of New Mexico, which worked closely with the Society. This collection also contains a significant amount of correspondence involving members and associates of the Society, including Oscar Berninghaus, E. Irving Couse, Gerald Cassidy, Bert Philips, Gustave Baumann, Paul A.F. Walter, and Edgar Hewett. A scrapbook of newspaper clippings and art exhibit programs is also within the collection, as is a program from the 1921 Santa Fe Fiesta.
- Taos Society of Artists (Organization)
Language of Materials
Duplication allowed for research purposes. User responsible for all copyright compliance.
The Taos art colony began in 1898 when Ernest Blumenschein and Bert Philips arrived in Taos. Inspired by the setting, they decided to make Taos their home. Soon afterwards other artists arrived, impressed and duly influenced with the beauty of the natural setting of Taos, the climate, and the Indians. The Taos Society for Artists was organized in 1912. The original members included: Ernest Blumenschein, Bert Philips, Walter Ufer, Oscar Berninghaus, Victor Higgins, E.I. Couse, and Joseph Sharp. Later Herbert Dunton, Martin Hennings, and Kenneth Adams joined the group. Artists, in order to qualify, must have worked in the Taos area for three successive years. The Society also admitted many associate (non-active) and a few honorary members. The Taos Society of Artists became one of the most distinctive and popular "schools" of art in the United States in the early 1920's.
.5 Linear Feet
- Fray Angélico Chávez History Library
- The Palace of the Governors
- P.O. Box 2087
- Santa Fe, New Mexico 87504-2087, U.S.A.
- Phone: (+)505.476.5090
- Fax: (+)505.476.5093
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- URL: www.palaceofthegovernors.org
- Art -- New Mexico -- Taos
- Artists -- New Mexico -- Taos
- Baumann, Gustave, 1881-1971
- Berninghaus, Oscar E. (Oscar Edmund), 1874-1952
- Blumenschein, E. L. (Ernest Leonard), 1874-1960
- Cassidy, Gerald, 1869-1934
- Exhibition catalogs
- Festivals -- New Mexico -- Santa Fe
- Hewett, Edgar L. (Edgar Lee), 1865-1946
- Minutes (Records)
- Painters -- New Mexico -- Taos
- Taos (N.M.) -- History
- Walter, Paul A. F.
- Guide to the Taos Society of Artists Collection, 1918-1928
- Edited Full Draft
- Processed by Library Staff
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is in English
- June 28, 2004: PUBLIC "-//Museum of New Mexico::Fray Angelico Chavez History Library//TEXT (US::NmSM::AC 219::Taos Society of Artists Collection)//EN" "nmsm1ac219.sgml" converted from EAD 1.0 to 2002 by v1to02.xsl (sy2003-10-15).
- Monday, 20210524: Attribute normal is missing or blank.