George Henry Pettis Collection,
Identifier: AC 178-P
Scope and Content
Collection consists of a variety of materials from the Algondones, New Mexico post office. Includes a list of goods delivered to the post office, receipts, account records, a circular announcing the permanent closure of the Algondones post office in September, 1868, and an inventory of property from the Algondones Post Office received by the Santa Fe postmaster from Pettis in October, 1868.
Language of Materials
Duplication allowed for research purposes. User responsible for all copyright compliance.
George Henry Pettis was born at Pawtucket, RI on March 17, 1834. In [UNK] he moved to California and engaged in mining and later was employed as a printer. He came to New Mexico with the California Column and was mustered out Feb. 15, 1865. He was immediately mustered into the service again as 1st Lieutenant, Company F, First New Mexico Volunteer Infantry under Col. Francisco Paula Abreu. In Sept. 1866 Pettis was mustered out and moved to Algondones, NM where he became host of the Railroad House. Pettis also became Post Master of Algondones until the Post Office was closed in the fall of 1868. In late 1868 he moved to Providence, RI and in 1876-1877 was a member of the Rhode Island House of Representatives. He died in Providence in 1909. This collection of papers deal with the time Pettis spent in Algodones as Post Master.
5 account sheets from Post Master at Algodones, N.M. to U.S. Post Master (July 1867-June 30, 1868) have been transferred to the map collection.
- Fray Angélico Chávez History Library
- The Palace of the Governors
- P.O. Box 2087
- Santa Fe, New Mexico 87504-2087, U.S.A.
- Phone: (+)505.476.5090
- Fax: (+)505.476.5093
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- URL: www.palaceofthegovernors.org
- Guide to the George Henry Pettis Collection, 1867-1868
- Edited Full Draft
- Processed by Library Staff
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is in English
- June 28, 2004: PUBLIC "-//Museum of New Mexico::Fray Angelico Chavez History Library//TEXT (US::NmSM::AC 178-P::George Henry Pettis Collection)//EN" "nmsm1ac178.sgml" converted from EAD 1.0 to 2002 by v1to02.xsl (sy2003-10-15).
- Monday, 20210524: Attribute normal is missing or blank.