Boaz W. Long Papers
Identifier: AC 136
Scope and Content
The Boaz Walton Long Collection consists of private and professional correspondence, financial records, and personal papers dating almost entirely from the 1940s.
Language of Materials
Duplication allowed for research purposes. User responsible for all copyright compliance.
Boaz Walton Long (9-27-1876 to 7-30-1962) was born in Warsaw, Indiana where his father held a judicial position. The Long family came to the Southwest in 1885 when President Grover Cleveland named Elisha V. Long Chief Justice of New Mexico. The Longs lived in Santa Fe initially and then moved to Las Vegas after redistricting of the Territory. Boaz graduated from Las Vegas High School and then spent one year at Wentworth Military Academy in Lexington, Missouri. Subsequent clerking in his father's law office ended when Long's love of travel took him through the Western United States, Mexico, Central America, and Cuba. More than ten year's experience abroad in the Western Hemisphere facilitated Long's appointment as Chief of the Division of Latin American Affairs for the State Department in 1913. Long remained in various positions of government service for more than thirty years until his retirement in 1946. Among numerous assignments, Boaz Long acted as Minister to San Salvador, Cuba and Nicaragua, and Ambassador to Ecuador and Guatemala. Retirement from federal service ushered in a period of state service as Long became Director of the Museum of New Mexico from 1948 to 1957.
.75 Linear Feet
- Fray Angélico Chávez History Library
- The Palace of the Governors
- P.O. 2087
- Santa Fe, New Mexico 87504-2087, U.S.A.
- Phone: (+)505.476.5090
- Fax: (+)505.476.5093
- Email: email@example.com
- URL: www.palaceofthegovernors.org
- Guide to the Boaz W. Long Papers, 1942-1957
- Edited Full Draft
- Processed by Library Staff
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is in English
- June 28, 2004: PUBLIC "-//Museum of New Mexico::Fray Angelico Chavez History Library//TEXT (US::NmSM::AC 136::Guide to the Boaz W. Long Papers)//EN" "nmsm1ac136.sgml" converted from EAD 1.0 to 2002 by v1to02.xsl (sy2003-10-15).
- Monday, 20210524: Attribute normal is missing or blank.