William Thetford Le Viness Scrapbook Collection,
Identifier: AC 132
Scope and Content
The Le Viness Collection consists of ten scrapbooks containing chromologically arranged works written by or about W. T. Leviness; fifteen binders containing periodicals with articles written by Le Viness arranged chronologically by date of publication; and one copy of a publication written by Le Viness entitled "The Life and Works of William Hayley: 1745-1820."
Language of Materials
Duplication allowed for research purposes. User responsible for all copyright compliance.
William Thetford (Ted) Le Viness (3-13-1913 to 9-10-1971) was born in Baltimore, Maryland and crippled by cerebral palsey at the age of eight months. He was educated at home by his mother until age fourteen after which, though still confined to a wheelchair, he attended the Oak Ridge Military Institute in North Carolina (class of 1930); St. John's College, Annapolis, Maryland (B.A. 1934); and Columbia University, New York (M.A. in English 1938). Shortly after receiving his M.A., Le Viness began a career of free-lance writing for various newspapers and magazines. He moved to Santa Fe in 1939. In 1944 Le Viness became head librarian for the New Mexico Department of Welfare (later to become the State Health and Social Services Department), a position he held until his death. During this period he continued to do free-lance newspaper and magazine writing on a diverse variety of subjects. His principle literary concerns were the historical, geographical, cultural, and social environment of New Mexico and the Southwest.
2 Linear Feet
- Fray Angélico Chávez History Library
- The Palace of the Governors
- P.O. 2087
- Santa Fe, New Mexico 87504-2087, U.S.A.
- Phone: (+)505.476.5090
- Fax: (+)505.476.5093
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- URL: www.palaceofthegovernors.org
- Guide to the William Thetford Le Viness Scrapbook Collection, 1928-1971
- Edited Full Draft
- Processed by Library Staff
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is in English
- June 28, 2004: PUBLIC "-//Museum of New Mexico::Fray Angelico Chavez History Library//TEXT (US::NmSM::AC 132::William Thetford Le Viness Scrapbook Collection)//EN" "nmsm1ac132.sgml" converted from EAD 1.0 to 2002 by v1to02.xsl (sy2003-10-15).
- Monday, 20210524: Attribute normal is missing or blank.