Teresina Bent Scheurich Note Book
Identifier: AC 120-P
Scope and Content
Handwritten account of Charles Bent's assassination in Taos, New Mexico, in 1847 by his daughter Teresina Bent Scheurich. Also included is a typescript copy of the account and a 12 page handwritten copy of an address concerning the Bent assassination given by L. Bradford Prince.
Language of Materials
Reproduction of the original prohibited. Duplication allowed for research purposes. User responsible for all copyright compliance.
Family History (Bent Family)
Charles Bent was born in Virginia in 1797, graduated from West Point and then resigned form the military. He was in the mercantile business in St. Louis until his father's death in 1827, at which time he moved west. He helped his brother William build the second Bent's Fort in Colorado, then moved to Santa Fe and then Taos to look after business interests. He was appointed first Territorial Governor and a few months later was killed during an insurrection. His daughter, Teresina, who witnessed his murder, later married Aloys Scheurich in 1865. Her daughter was Celestina Dora Berry whose daughter Teresa (Tessie) Berry was mentioned in the dedication speech.
- Fray Angélico Chávez History Library
- The Palace of the Governors
- P.O. Box 2087
- Santa Fe, New Mexico 87504-2087, U.S.A.
- Phone: (+)505.476.5090
- Fax: (+)505.476.5093
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- URL: www.palaceofthegovernors.org
- Guide to the Teresina Bent Scheurich Note Book, n.d.
- Edited Full Draft
- Processed by Library Staff
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is in English
- June 28, 2004: PUBLIC "-//Museum of New Mexico::Fray Angelico Chavez History Library//TEXT (US::NmSM::AC 120-P::Teresina Bent Scheurich Note Book)//EN" "nmsm1ac120-p.sgml" converted from EAD 1.0 to 2002 by v1to02.xsl (sy2003-10-15).
- Monday, 20210524: Attribute normal is missing or blank.