Historical Society of New Mexico Collection,
Identifier: AC 108
Scope and Content
Collection consists primarily of records of the Historical Society of New Mexico. Includes minutes of meetings from 1859 to 1863, 1909 to 1926, and 1974-1982; records of purchases from 1926 to 1961; records of gifts from 1915 to 1998; and two registers signed by the Historical Society's members and guests (including Theodore Roosevelt) from 1893, and 1899 to 1907. Included are various annual reports, some in both English and Spanish, from 1884 throught 1956. Also within the collection are a broad range of letters sent and received by officials of the Historical Society such as Edgar J. Hewett, Lansing B. Bloom, Paul A. F. Walter, and Victor Westphall.
Language of Materials
Duplication allowed for research purposes. User responsible for all copyright compliance.
Founded on December 26, 1859, the Historical Society of New Mexico is the oldest historical society west of the Mississippi River. During the Civil War, it suspended activities, but soon resumed its role in preserving New Mexico's history. During the territorial period (1851-1912), its members included merchants, educators, lawyers, and politicians. From 1927 to 1960, the Society was the official guardian of the archives of the State of New Mexico until the time the State of New Mexico established its own archives department at the New Mexico Records Center and Archives. Over the almost 150 years of its life, the Historical Society of New Mexico has published a number of books.
14 Linear Feet
- Fray AngÃ©lico ChÃ¡vez History Library
- New Mexico History Museum
- P.O. 2087
- Santa Fe, New Mexico 87504-2087, U.S.A.
- Phone: (+)505.476.5090
- Email: email@example.com
- URL: www.palaceofthegovernors.org
- Guide to the Historical Society of New Mexico Collection, 1859-2008
- Edited Full Draft
- Processed by Library Staff
- Â©2000; updated Â©2010
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is in English Spanish
- June 28, 2004: PUBLIC "-//New Mexico History Museum::Fray Angelico Chavez History Library//TEXT (US::NmSM::AC 108::Guide to the Historical Society of New Mexico Collection)//EN" "nmsm1ac108.sgml" converted from EAD 1.0 to 2002 by v1to02.xsl (sy2003-10-15).
- Monday, 20210524: Attribute normal is missing or blank.